The Dying Art of Great Music Videos
The Lost Art of Music Videos is the book I never had in my life. I know, it’s a bit of a stretch, but there is a reason for that. Even as I write this, I’m about ready to cry my eyes out and scream into my laptop, “There’s a new book on Amazon that doesn’t suck!”
It’s not just that The Lost Art of Music Videos isn’t written by some famous film director or a multi-million dollar actor, but rather, it’s written by a geek who loves movies, loves music, and has a background in making music videos as a kid (and even as an adult). So I mean… yep, I’m serious about saying, “It’s a book about music, and no one will ever read it.”
The truth is, the book sounds like it was written by someone who only wants to write books, is completely forgettable, and yet, there are so many different reasons why it could be the book for you. And you see, one of those reasons is that The Lost Art of Music Videos is truly honest. I can say with certainty that if you ever want to learn how to make a great music video, or if you ever want to learn about getting started, then this book is perfect for you. It’s fun, engaging, and full of hard facts.
I am going to give you a little history lesson on myself, because I’m sure that many of you have heard that you need to think like an original artist. If you can figure out how to do this, then you can become a real artist yourself.
- So in this case, The Lost Art of Music Videos was written by someone who loved music but also loved movies, and was willing to share everything he knew with me in his first book. That included learning a ton of tips, tricks, and secrets that he learned from his years working as a freelance script writer and writing music videos for people. He was already well versed in the music industry, and now he wants to help others too.
- He goes over what you should do to get noticed in the industry, what kind of business you need to start up, and how you can market yourself. There’s no shortage of stuff in this book. You can’t go wrong with it.
- As for his success in making this book, I’ll let him take the credit for that. He knows about everything, and he puts it all in his first book. Why wouldn’t you learn from someone who had already done it?
- And what he tells you in The Lost Art of Music Videos is not an April fool’s joke. It’s not meant to be a joke. He’s got tons of stuff you can use, and he has done it all by himself.
- So the best part about The Lost Art of Music Videos is that it’s not a book about anything else. It’s not about acting, about comedy, about music, about singing, about singing… it’s not a book about anything other than learning the secret to making great videos.
So when you’re done reading, you’ll be as informed as you need to be, which means you’ll be ready to get started on your journey to becoming a great video creator. It doesn’t matter what the medium is, or whether you’re starting out with a camera or a computer.
So if you’re one of the many people who has never made a music video, you should give The Lost Art of Music Videos a try. You can always go back to it whenever you need a little more inspiration, or a little more help in how to make a good one.
A Short Primer on Music Videos
You’ve heard the term used in movies before, but how many people actually know what it means? At least a few people, but it’s a good bet that you haven’t. So, let’s go over some basics.
To put it in very simple terms, the “lost art of music videos” refers to the art of creating short films using a screen and a digital camera. It’s the same principle as using a camera on a tripod, except the whole process is much faster and more efficient.
Video tape is the reason why most of these videos were made in the first place. But the video tape was invented and most of the footage was shot the old fashioned way.
Film stock has become much better over the years, with the advent of digital video recorders. Nowadays, the most common film type is called HD, which stands for High Definition. It’s a standard that many companies are using, which means it can be shot on an HD camcorder.
Cinema cameras and consumer cameras are not interchangeable anymore. Companies are selling their consumer cameras with a built-in HD camcorder, which means you don’t have to buy a separate HD camcorder.
Most of these digital video recorders are compatible with the Blu-ray Disc format, and some even have the capability to record to a DAT tape as well. These cameras also make it easy to work with a good bit of post-production, as most of them include one of two kinds of video editing tools: DivX or DVD-Audio.
However, for those of you who think the new technology means better results, think again. The main difference between the old techniques and the new ones is that the latter are faster and allow for a more advanced editing process. Of course, the editing process is often much better done on a PC or laptop.
There’s really no limit to the number of projects you can create in this new technology, but it will usually come with either free content or at least a product license. This is in the same spirit as a DVD as mentioned above.
Sometimes, the media-consumption frenzy makes it hard to find time to try and set up a complete set. Or if you’re already producing and directing a project, it can be hard to keep up.
One solution is to create a separate hard drive where you can store the images, the sounds, and the video footage and since all these together. You can even create another back up hard drive to hold all the footage that you create and then make a separate drive to hold all the finished project files.
Now that you have some idea of what digital video means, you may want to check out a new school of thought called “all digital” video. Some of the best filmmakers in the world use this all digital technique, which is much faster than film making.